If your loved one died because of medical malpractice, you can sue the doctor or the hospital for the death. If you suspect that you lost your loved one because of medical practice, then it is important to reach out to a wrongful death attorney immediately. He can help to collect evidence against the doctor or the hospital which can be useful for you when raising a wrongful death lawsuit in court.
Types Of Medical Malpractice
You should be aware of various medical malpractices for knowing whether your loved one died because of them. The following are some of the common medical malpractices that you should know.
- Failure to diagnose: It occurs if a doctor was not able to correctly diagnose the medical condition.
- Medication errors: This includes the prescription of the wrong medication or the wrong dose of medicine by a doctor.
- Failure to monitor: A doctor failing to monitor a patient after a surgery or other important treatments and didn’t identify the complications.
- Birth Injuries: Death of the mother or child caused because of the failure of the doctor to identify the complications.
- Anesthesia Errors: Death occurred because of too much anesthesia or delayed anesthesia.
If your loved one died because of any of the above reasons, then you are allowed to submit a wrongful death lawsuit against the doctor or the hospital.
Bringing A Claim Against The Hospital
In addition to bringing a death claim against the doctor, you can also sue the hospital in certain circumstances. If the doctor was employed by the hospital or if you sought help in the emergency room, then it is possible for you to sue the hospital if a wrongful death arises. Also, if the hospital failed to review the qualification of the doctor before allowing him to practice in the hospital, then it exhibited negligence. In this case, the hospital will also be liable for the wrongful death.
Proving Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death caused by medical malpractice can be difficult to prove when compared to other wrongful death cases. So you will need the help of a good wrongful death attorney for bringing a claim in such cases.
For establishing that the death of your loved one is caused by medical malpractice, you have to prove that the doctor failed to give the care he owed to the patient, the doctor was not qualified enough to treat the patient, or the negligence of the doctor caused the patient’s death.
If you are able to prove the above conditions, then the doctor will be held responsible for the death. In this case, you will be able to get compensation for the losses caused by the death of your loved one.